Happy Thoughts:

6/29/10

God Bless America



Today I am thanking God for all that he has given me. Sometimes it takes a little reality check to stop and think about what we have in life. Last night we went to the grocery store because I didn't want anything we had in the house so I waited out in the car while hubby went inside really quick to grab a couple things, and I was just hanging out in the mini cooper listening to music when this sweet old lady wearing a "God Bless America" T-shirt knocked on my window. I rolled it down, and she said "Excuse me miss, but do you have two dollars so I could get myself something to eat?" I felt like the WORST person in the world but I had to tell her no because I don't carry cash only cards, I ALWAYS lose cash. Hubby was still in the store so I really didn't have anything to give her. Then my husband comes walking out a few minutes later and is about to get in the car when she comes back and asks him, so of course he gave it to her, and then I felt even worse like GEEZ she probably thinks I'm a BITCH sitting here in my little air conditioned car not wanting to hand over two dollars!

On the way home I was thinking it's only a couple blocks to the grocery store and I'm kinda glad to live close to a neighborhood like that so that I always have a reminder nearby to keep myself from forgetting how good my life is, and how priveleged I am to live where I do. So today I just want to be thankful for everything I have, and where I have been lucky enough to go in life. I hope this gives you a little encouragement to do the same, I think it's perfect for right before 4th of July too! We are celebrating really big this year!

3 comments:

  1. It always makes me sad when people ask me for money and I don't have anything. It doesnt happen as much down here..but in Boston on a Friday night, all the homeless people come out of hiding and hangout near the bars.

    And btw. Love the new layout :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you. It's important to remember how lucky we are sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always feel bad when people ask me for money, cause I NEVER carry cash on me and I hate telling them no. My mom taught me that if you can help out, even if its just a little, you always should. I'm sure she understood and was thankful that your hubby was kind enough to give her a few dollars, so don't beat yourself up about it. I do however, like the fact that you posted what you are thankful for because so many people lose sight of their blessings in life and only focus on the bad stuff. Way to stay positive! :) I also love your new layout btw, its too cute!!

    ReplyDelete