Happy Thoughts:

10/11/10

Mili Mondays: Do You Re-enlist?

Grab My Button



To re-enlist or not to re-enlist
That is the question
Whether tis nobler in the mind
Ahem... *hastily grabs the inner theatre nerd and tosses it back into the closet*
Sorry about that. Theatre Major. It happens. But in all seriousness..

Re-enlisting. It is a choice nearly all military members and couples must face the possibility of at least once. You made it through boot camp, training, schools, deployments, separation, duty, pcsing, and a host of other things the military throws at you for four years (or in my husband's case, five). After all of this the big question arises.
Do you re-enlist?
The possibilities suddenly seem endless. Of course there is the obvious choice to re-enlist. Four more years of military life. More deployments, more nights in the field, possibly more school if you suddenly decide to change your MOS.
My husband is due to re-enlist (or not) in May 2011. Depending on the day you ask him that choice is always different.
"I am going to re-enlist and try and get into CID."
"I want to train FBI Agents in Quantico."
"I am going to work in security for the government."
"Maybe I will go to college."
"You don't like it, but what if I re-enlist and stay infantry? Or maybe stay for now and try for CID later?"
"Do you think I would be a good cop?"
"How do you feel about me joining the Air Force?"
Yes, all direct quotes care of my husband.
At this point Ryan's real goal is to apply to CID in February after being a CPL for a year and re-enlist to do that. I support it. Now if he deosn't get into the program we have some more thinking to do. Hence the other ideas. Our plan now, wait for February.
This talk was triggered again yesterday when I got a slight chip in my tooth enamel and tried to figure out how to enroll myself in dental... we've only been married five months so I put it off. On the website it says you cannot be enrolled unless your spouse has twelve months of service left.
"What do you mean!? I am re-enlisting, so why would that be a problem??"
....
"You are?"
"Yea... probably."
Full circle.  We have talked this topic to death. Ryan is kind of into the "perks", as he calls it. He loved military discounts, shopping on base at the PX or commissary, getting gas on base, insurance, BAH... yes it sounds great I know. But the downsides are huge too. The moving around, the long hours, and of course the dreaded D-words, deployments. One was hard. Not going to lie at all. You cannot sugar coat a deployment. They suck. Iraq is far away. It's dangerous. It goes on and on. Afghanistan would be even worse. That scares me.
Can I really accept the fact if Ryan re-enlists that we would move from an area we are really happy living in, a job I like, and that he would more than likely deploy again? Of course I can. I am a Marine Wife. That's my job. I married Ryan under the impression that he would be re-enlisting. It was only around June he started thinking of other things. He has always said if he re-enlists now, the next time it rolls around he'd be at nine years and at that point we should just go for the full twenty.
Only fifteen more years! Or maybe seven months. Or four months. Either way, I will know by May for sure. Hurry up and wait indeed.


8 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/11/2010

    We are in the same boat...we need to decide by this summer. It seems like my husband changes his mind every week too! I am a planner so in the beginning every time he would make a decision, I would start planning out our future...but then the next week, he would change his mind and I would start planning again. After changing his mind again and again, I have given up on the planning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're at this point too - sort of. My husband re-enlisted in July 2009 and we've been talking about what's going to happen at that point. He'll be at the 10 year mark and figures he should probably just finish out 20, and since he's in a crazy billet that has had non stop deployments, I just want him to get out. Sometimes he wants to go to OCS, or become a warrant officer, or re-enlist for shore duty and then get out, or do some other program and retire as a chief... it changes daily. But it boils down to the fact that I knew he wanted to be career when we got married, and I'll support him in that if it's what he really wants. I just wish he'd make up his mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are also in the same boat.. My fiance is currently deployed and is he can re-enlist starting October 15th.. After talking the subject to death, we have come to the conclusion that re-enlisting is the best decision for our family. Unfortunately, he hasn't made up his mind on whether he wants to stay Infantry or change his MOS. Right now, I believe he's leaning towards changing his MOS, but I assume we'll talk that subject to death before a final decision is made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Honey I hear you. My man is in the navy. I Canada we call it a contract, not re-listing. At this point he intends to do 20 years (he has 10 in) so he can retire at 38 with a full pension. Doesn't sound half bad when you look at is that way. He too has had the discussion of changing roles going Officer getting a degree and on and on. I am supportive but it's funny how you picture life one way only to have it go in another direction. Last year at this time I thought we'd be on the other side of the country owning our own home as real estates is affordbale where we thought he would get posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I have talked alot about his re enlisting and matter of fact i may be re enlisting sometime this week. The way that my husband and I see it with the economy going like it is we need a steady income. The Military is a for sure job and we get great health care, dental, discounts...pretty much the works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a huge decision. I think it has ups and downs but it comes down to what is right for you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, 17 years of Air Force answers the question pretty good but we are more than ready to become civilians. :)
    anyway, I am new to your blog so I wanted to say Hi.
    Mira

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete